7 best Kyoto Foodie Tour to Book
by Coco Tran On October 17, 2023
Looking for the best Kyoto foodie tour to join? I’ve got 7 of the best here that are highly rated and well-reviewed!
Kyoto is a foodie’s paradise, with its amazing variety of traditional Japanese cuisine. From sushi to ramen, matcha to mochi, Kyoto offers a feast for the senses. To truly experience the flavors of this historic city, joining a Kyoto foodie tour is a must. Here are 7 incredible Kyoto foodie tours to book for an unforgettable gastronomic adventure:
No time to read the full post? Want the best food tours in Kyoto? I’ve got you covered! Here’s my personal recommendation.
The best Kyoto foodie tour:
Is Kyoto foodie tour worth it?
Here are some of the top reasons to book a food tour on your next trip to Kyoto:
- Taste authentic local cuisine. On a guided food tour, you’ll get to sample all the iconic Kyoto specialties from ramen to matcha sweets, prepared properly by experts. This is the best way to experience real Japanese flavors.
- Discover hidden gems. Savvy local guides will take you to hole-in-the-wall eateries, bustling markets, and family-run shops you’d never find on your own. You’ll get a unique insider’s perspective.
- Learn the history and culture behind the food. Your knowledgeable guide will offer insights into ingredients, preparation methods, traditions, and more as you explore. It makes the food even more meaningful.
- Meet the locals. Food tours take you off the typical tourist trail and into the everyday dining spots of residents. It’s a great way to connect with locals.
- Convenient logistics. Guides do all the planning so you can focus on enjoying. No maps or reservations needed!
- Budget-friendly experience. Tastings and snacks are included so you get to sample a variety of foods without spending too much.
- Fun atmosphere. Eating delicious food and discovering new places with others makes for a lively, memorable adventure.
- Get oriented. A food tour helps you get your bearings in Kyoto while seeing key sights along the way.
- Hassle-free for solo travelers. Joining a small group tour is easy for those exploring Kyoto on their own.
So if you want an unforgettable way to taste Kyoto’s incredible food scene, a guided tour is a must. You’ll come away stuffed, enlightened, and already planning your next Kyoto culinary adventure.
5 Incredible Kyoto Taxi Tours to Book
- Tour starts at the Statue of Izumo-no-Okuni in central Kyoto
- Small group limited to 7 people ensures personal experience
- Visit local restaurants and bars to sample Kyoto cuisine and drinks
- Taste traditional dishes like Obanzai (Kyoto vegetable plates)
- Try local sake (rice wine) at charming standing bars
- Perfect for foodies wanting an insiders’ guide to Kyoto’s excellent nightlife
This 3 hour evening food tour takes you deep into the heart of Kyoto’s food culture. Led by friendly local guides, you’ll visit charming local restaurants and bars to sample a range of traditional cuisine and drinks. Highlights include tucking into Obanzai, a Kyoto style vegetable dish, sipping on local sake at a standing bar, and finishing off with a sweet Japanese dessert. It’s the perfect way to discover Kyoto’s excellent food and drink scene. The small group size ensures an intimate experience, and the guides offer fascinating insights into Kyoto’s culinary traditions. Foodies won’t want to miss this delicious tour!
Other Japan Articles
2. Ramen Cooking Class at Ramen Factory in Kyoto
- Learn to make authentic ramen noodles and broth from scratch
- Choose from a variety of flavors and toppings
- Hands-on cooking class at a ramen factory in Kyoto
- Make and enjoy your own personalized ramen bowl
- Fun activity for foodies, families, and solo travelers
- Halal-certified, vegetarian/vegan friendly
If you love ramen, don’t miss this hands-on cooking class in Kyoto. You’ll learn how to make ramen noodles and broth from scratch from expert instructors. Choose your favorite flavors and topics to create your ideal noodle bowl. At the end, you’ll be able to eat the ramen you made yourself! It’s a fun, interactive experience ideal for foodies, families, and solo travelers. With vegetarian/vegan options available, it caters to many dietary needs. And you’ll go home with the skills to reproduce this iconic Japanese dish anytime.
3. Kyoto: Casual Pontocho Night Food Tour
- Explore the charming, historic Pontocho and Gion Shirakawa districts
- Sample regional cuisine at 5 food and drink stops
- Try sumi grilled skewers, soba noodles, and matcha dessert
- Learn about Kyoto’s food culture from your guide
- Relaxed evening tour ideal for families and casual travelers
- Discover tea houses, restaurants, and sights on this walking tour
For a relaxed evening of tempting flavors, this is one of the best Kyoto food tours. It takes you through atmospheric alleys to sample skewered meats, handmade soba noodles, and green tea desserts. With 5 food stops plus drinks, there’s something for everyone. And the walking format makes it ideal for families and casual travelers who want to experience Kyoto at an easy pace. Throughout the tour, your guide will share cultural insights about Kyoto’s cuisine and landmarks. It’s the perfect way to soak up the nostalgic atmosphere of Pontocho and Gion Shirakawa.
4. Kyoto Nishiki Market Tour – Kyoto Walking Food Tour
- Sample your way through Nishiki Market, Kyoto’s famous food market
- Visit 10-12 market stalls to taste local delicacies
- Try smooth sashimi tofu, seafood, sweets, tea, and more
- Learn about Kyoto’s seasonal produce and food culture
- Relaxed walking tour ideal for foodies and market lovers
- Guided visit ensures you experience the best stalls and dishes
For an in-depth experience of Kyoto’s famous Nishiki Market, this food tour is a must. Over 3 hours, you’ll visit 10-12 family-owned stalls, sampling smooth sashimi tofu, seafood skewers, Japanese sweets, tea, and more. Your guide knows all the best spots to find delicious local delicacies. You’ll gain insights into Kyoto’s seasonal produce and time-honored food culture as you graze your way through this atmospheric market. The relaxed walking format makes it perfect for foodies, couples, and families who want to take their time discovering the flavors of Kyoto.
- Private Tours with a food tour guide of Kyoto’s izakaya (pubs)
- Drink sake and dine on small plates at 3 atmospheric bars
- Visit historic Gion district or train station bars
- Experience Kyoto’s unique izakaya culture
- Learn about Japanese food and culture from your local guide
- Customizable to your tastes – create your own foodie adventure!
For an authentic Kyoto nightlife experience, join this private izakaya bar tour. Led by a local guide, you’ll indulge in sake while hopping between 3 intimate pubs. Graze on small share plates of quintessential Japanese fare. Your customizable itinerary can include Gion’s enchanting alleys or Kyoto’s train station bars. Throughout the evening, soak up your guide’s insights about cuisine, culture and history. It’s the ultimate way to taste Kyoto’s dynamic food scene like a true local. Ideal for pairs and small groups seeking a personalized gastro adventure.
6. (Private) Kyoto Foodie Tour: Local Home Visit Tea Ceremony
- Authentic tea ceremony in a local Kyoto home
- Watch an Omotesenke tea master perform the ritual
- Savor 2 cups of high-quality Kyoto matcha
- Learn the significance behind each graceful step
- Adorable Japanese sweets representing the seasons
- Intimate experience ideal for small groups
For an authentic and meaningful cultural experience, join this private tea ceremony in a Kyoto home. An expert teacher will guide you through the graceful ritual, explaining each step. Sip two cups of the finest Kyoto matcha green tea, paired beautifully with Japanese sweets. Soak up the tranquil atmosphere of the traditional tea room. It’s an intimate, memorable way to discover the calming ‘Way of Tea’, perfect for small groups seeking an in-depth experience off the tourist trail.
7. Kyoto Evening Gion Food Tour
- Delve into Kyoto’s cuisine on a night tour of Gion
- Learn about geisha culture and see geisha up-close
- Indulge in a 10-course Kaiseki dinner at an exclusive venue
- Sample seasonal Kyoto delicacies and Japanese cuisine
- Stroll through atmospheric alleys and along the river
- Luxurious tour ideal for special occasions and serious foodies
This is one of the most exclusive ways to experience Kyoto’s refined cuisine and culture. The tour starts with a stroll through historic Gion, where you may spot elusive geisha. The highlight is a lavish 10-course Kaiseki dinner, held in a venue exclusive to the tour. You’ll be served ornate dishes that celebrate the flavors of Kyoto, including the freshest sashimi and seasonal delicacies. Ideal for gourmands who want to indulge in Kyoto’s finest fare, and glimpse its enchanting night scenery.
Planning a trip to japan:
Ultimate japan travel planning Guide
find these helpful japan articles and resources to plan your ultimate trip to Japan: