Bellagio, known as the “Pearl of Lake Como”, is one of the most beautiful and charming towns in Italy. Located on the tip of a peninsula on Lake Como, it’s home to shady promenades, cobblestone lanes, majestic villas, and picturesque waterfronts. With its fairytale-like ambiance, Bellagio is one of my favorite Northern Italy locations.
If you’re planning a trip to Bellagio, you’re likely wondering how to get there from Milan. The good news is that Bellagio is easy to reach from Milan, Italy’s fashion and business capital. The journey takes between 1.5 to 2.5 hours depending on the mode of transportation.
In this complete guide, I’ll outline the easiest and best ways (and easiest ways) to get from Milan to Bellagio based on my personal experience visiting Bellagio. Whether you prefer traveling by train, ferry, bus, car or taxi, I’ve got you covered with prices, tips, and logistical information to make your trip smooth and stress-free.
How to Get From Milan to Bellagio: The Complete Guide
In This Article: Table of Contents
Overview of Transportation Options from Milan to Bellagio
Here’s a quick overview of the main transportation options to get from Milan to Bellagio and how long each one takes:
- Train + Ferry – The most popular option. Take a train from Milan to Varenna or Como, then a short ferry ride to Bellagio. Total time: 1.5 – 2.5 hours
- Bus – Take a bus from Milan to Como, then another bus from Como to Bellagio. Total time: 2.5 – 3 hours
- Car – Drive from Milan to Bellagio. Total time: 1.5 hours (not including picking up rental car)
- Taxi – Take a taxi directly from Milan to Bellagio. Total time: 1.5 hours
- Tour: Stress free and conveniet to go to from milan to bellagio
Below, I’ll explain each option in detail including logistics, prices, and tips to make your journey smooth.
Is Bellagio Italy in Lake Como Worth Visiting
Yes, Bellagio is absolutely worth visiting if you are traveling to Lake Como in Italy! It’s one of my favorite places in Northern Italy to visit. Here are a few reasons why it should be on your itinerary:
- Scenic location – Bellagio is situated on the tip of a peninsula on Lake Como, surrounded by the lake’s stunning mountain scenery. The views of the lake and Alps are breathtaking.
- Charming ambiance – With its cobblestone lanes, ancient buildings, restaurants, and shops, Bellagio has an intimate old-world charm that feels like you’re stepping back in time. It’s incredibly romantic.
- Luxury villas – Bellagio is known for its elite villas like Villa Serbelloni and Villa Melzi, which add an air of exclusivity. Many have gorgeous landscaped gardens you can tour.
- Central location – Sitting at the intersection of Lake Como’s three branches, it’s easy to take ferries and tours to other famous towns like Varenna and Menaggio while based in Bellagio.
- Things to do – Attractions include the lakeside promenade, Villa Melzi, Villa Serbelloni’s gardens, churches, shops, and good restaurants. It’s very walkable.
- Day trips – Many people visit Bellagio on a day trip from Milan given the convenient connections. But an overnight stay allows you to fully experience the ambiance.
In summary, Bellagio should not be missed – it’s one of the most beautiful destinations in Italy and Lake Como’s crowning jewel. Even just a day here to soak up the charm is worthwhile.
Getting from Milan to Bellagio Train + Ferry
Taking the train and ferry is hands-down the best way to get from Milan to Bellagio. Not only is it easy and affordable, but you’ll get to enjoy beautiful views of Lake Como during the ferry ride.
Other Italy Articles:
Here are step-by-step directions on how to get from Milan to Bellagio by train and ferry:
Step 1: Take the train from Milan to Varenna
- Catch a local train from Milan Central Station (Milano Centrale) to Varenna-Esino station. The journey takes approximately 1 hour.
- Milan to bellagio train time depart every 1-2 hours and
- Milan to bellagio train cost around 7-15 EUR per person each way!
- No need to book train tickets in advance – you can purchase them easily at the station.
- Tip: Board the train early to secure luggage space near your seat.
Step 2: Walk from Varenna station to the ferry port
- Once you arrive at Varenna-Esino station, exit and walk downhill for about 10 minutes to reach the ferry port.
- Follow signs towards Via per Esino and Navigazione Lago di Como. It’s an easy walk.
- Tip: Stop on the pedestrian bridge for beautiful views of Lake Como!
Step 3: Take the ferry from Varenna to Bellagio
- At the ferry port, purchase your ticket to Bellagio from the Navigazione Lago di Como ticket office.
- Ferries depart frequently, cost 5-10 EUR per person, and take 15 minutes.
- Stow luggage in the designated areas on the ferry. Then sit back and admire the scenery!
- Tip: Avoid ferries that stop in Menaggio to save time.
Step 4: Arrive in Bellagio
- Once you dock in Bellagio, you’re free to explore this beautiful lake town!
- Pick up a map or download one on your phone to find your hotel and key attractions.
- Total journey time from Milan is around 1.5 – 2 hours.
Getting from Milan to Bellagio Bus
While taking the bus from Milan to Bellagio is possible, I don’t recommend it as the most efficient option. Here’s what’s involved:
- From Milan Central station, take a regional bus to Como town. This takes around 1 hour.
- In Como, switch to bus C30 which goes directly to Bellagio. The bus ride from Como to Bellagio takes another 1.5 hours with lots of stops.
- Total bus journey time is 2.5-3 hours depending on connections. Plus hauling luggage on multiple buses can be cumbersome.
- However, buses are very affordable at just a few euros per ticket.
- Downside: buses tend to run infrequently and are not always punctual. I’d only recommend this if you’re on a tight budget and have ample time.
Driving from Milan to Bellagio by car
- Pick up your rental car in Milan and input Bellagio into your GPS. The drive takes around 1.5 hours in normal traffic.
- Toll roads and highways like A9 and SS36 help you avoid traffic and get there faster.
- Stopping for scenic photo ops along Lake Como will prolong the drive.
- Downsides: Rental cars and parking tend to be expensive in Italy. And Bellagio has limited parking.
- Cost for a 1-day Milan car rental starts around 70-100 EUR, excluding gas and tolls.
Milan to Bellagio taxi
Getting a taxi from Milan directly to Bellagio is the quickest transportation option, but also the priciest. Here’s what to expect:
- Taxis can be booked in advance or hired at Milan Central Station. Agree on a fixed rate upfront.
- The taxi ride takes around 1.5 hours if traffic is favorable.
- Rates generally start from 120 EUR and up depending on the company.
- Tip: For a better value, you can also hire a private transfer service or car with driver.
- While not the most budget-friendly, taxis are a good option if you have extra luggage or limited time.
Tips for Getting from Milan to Bellagio
Book train tickets in advance
Verify ferry timetables
Double check latest Lake Como ferry timetables online to coordinate your connections. Schedules vary by season.
Consider a day tour
If you want transportation covered without the logistics, day tours from Milan to Bellagio take the hassle out of travel.
Spend the night
Spending at least one night in Bellagio is recommended to fully experience the town without rushing. Extend your visit if time allows!
Milan to Bellagio: Frequently Asked Questions
How far is Bellagio from Milan?
Bellagio is located about 45 miles (73 km) north of Milan. By car or taxi the drive takes around 1.5 hours. Using public transportation takes 2-2.5 hours.
What is the cheapest way to get to Bellagio?
The cheapest transportation option is taking the train and ferry via Varenna. This costs around 20-30 EUR per person roundtrip. Buses are also very affordable at just a few euros per ticket.
What is the fastest way to get to Bellagio?
Taxis and private transfers offer the fastest transport times at approximately 1.5 hours from Milan to Bellagio. Driving takes around the same time, not counting pickup of a rental car.
Can I take a train directly from Milan to Bellagio?
Unfortunately no, there is no direct train from Milan to Bellagio. You have to break up the journey by taking a train to Varenna or Como, then transfer to a ferry across the lake.
Is it easy to take luggage on trains and ferries to Bellagio?
Yes, Italy’s trains and ferries are accustomed to travelers with luggage. Just be strategic about boarding trains early to grab luggage space. Ferries have designated storage areas. Traveling light helps.
Can I get from Milan to Bellagio without a boat?
Absolutely, you have alternatives if you don’t want to take the ferry. The options without a boat ride involve driving, taking a bus via Como, or getting a direct taxi from Milan.
Is there direct train from Milan to Bellagio?
No, there is no direct train from Milan to Bellagio. You have to take a train to Varenna or Como first, then take a ferry across Lake Como to reach Bellagio.
What is the best way to get from Milan to Bellagio Italy?
The best way is to take the train from Milan to Varenna, then take the short 15-minute ferry ride to Bellagio. This option is fast, scenic and affordable. Other options include driving, taking a bus, or getting a direct taxi.
How much is a train from Bellagio to Milan?
The train ticket from Bellagio to Milan costs around €7-15 per person each way, depending on the type of train you take. The journey takes around 1.5 hours with a transfer in Varenna or Como.
How to get from Milan Central train station to Bellagio?
From Milan Central Station, take the train to Varenna-Esino station (1 hour). Walk 10 minutes to the ferry port and take the ferry to Bellagio (15 mins). Total journey time is around 1.5-2 hours.
How far is Milan to Bellagio?
The distance between Milan and Bellagio is approximately 45 miles or 73 km.
How long from Milan to Bellagio?
The travel time from Milan to Bellagio is around 1.5 to 2.5 hours depending on the mode of transportation. Driving or taking a taxi takes around 1.5 hours. The train and ferry can take 2-2.5 hours.
How to get Milan to Bellagio?
The best way is to take the train from Milan to Varenna, walk to the ferry port, and ferry across to Bellagio. Other options include driving, taking a bus, or getting a direct taxi from Milan.
Plan Your Stress-Free Trip from Milan to Bellagio
I hope this guide has helped you decide the best way to get from Milan to beautiful Bellagio for your upcoming Lake Como vacation. With its romantic scenery, Bellagio is a destination you won’t want to rush through.
The journey itself sets the stage as you witness dramatic Alpine landscapes approaching magnificent Lake Como. Which mode of transportation you choose depends on your budget, time constraints and travel style.
Whichever way you decide to travel, Bellagio’s charming ambiance will make every minute of the journey worthwhile. Have a wonderful trip! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Traveling To Italy | Italy Travel Planning Guide
- Italy Tours & activities
- Car Rental in Italy
- Book Trains & see Schedules Here
- Protect Your Trip & Your Health & Belongings!
- Travel Must Haves & What I use
Places to Visit in Italy
- Which region in italy to visit ?
- Best Town in Northern Italy You Have To See!
- Lake Garda Vs lake Como
Regions Of italy
- Best Bout Tours In Lake Como
- Best Garden Tours of Lake Como
- See Lake Como from the Air: Helicopter Tour
- Most Beautiful Gardens To Visit In Lake Como
- Best Lake Como Food Tours
- Lake Como or lake Maggiore
- Things To Do In Lake Como
- Visiting Villa Del Balbianello
- Where To Stay in Lake Como (best towns & hotels)
- how to get from milan to lake como
- How To Get From Milan to Bellagio Lake Como
- Visiting Orrindo Di Bellano Italy
- 5 best golf cart tours in rome
- Best Skip The Line tickets & tours Colosseum
- Rome Colosseum Ticket hacks & Tours
- 27 Best Things To Do in Rome
- Renting a car in milan
- How To Get From Milan to Bellagio Lake Como
- Visiting Sagra Di San Michele
- Milan To Portofino day trip: Travel Guide
Dolomites Italian Alps
- Best Luxury Hotels in The Dolomites
- How To visit Lago Di Carezza
- 23 Best things to do in Dolomites
- 13 Most Beautiful Lakes Dolomites Has
- Best Town to Stay In The Dolomites
Planning Your Italy Trip: Tips & Guides
- DRIVING TIPS : All you need to know (rules and requirements)
- Renting a Car in Italy
- HOW TO: Get To Lake Como From Milan
- MUST KNOW TIPS: What I wish I had Known Before Going To Italy!
- How To Plan A trip: Complete A-Z
- How To Find Cheap Flights
- How To set up Google Flight Alerts