Do you need your passport renewed fast for summer travel? There is good news! Passport renewal in US have surged 500%. The State Department just announced good news if you need your passport in time for your summer travels. Read on to find out how to get your passport fast!
CHECK OUT THESE TRAVEL ARTICLES:
passport renewal in us
With the surge of post-pandemic summer travel in full swing, travelers who are needing to renew their passports are experiencing major delays . The current processing time for passports is 10 to 13 weeks for routine service, and 7 to 9 weeks for expedited service. According to the State agency, they are receiving 500,000 renewals a week with no slowing down in sight. with My husband renewed his passport in early April, and now we are in July with no status update, if you’re in the same boat there are things you can do (more on that later). If you are getting ready to apply for a passport, there is some good news!
The U.S. Department of State is holding “Special Passport Acceptance Fairs” and the events will be held at public libraries, recreation centers, and local city administrative offices. A majority of the events are in California and New Jersey, but several others are taking place in Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Missouri, Texas, and Wisconsin. New events are added weekly, and the full schedule is available on the U.S. Department of State’s website. These events will be only for NEW passport applications, so for renewals, you need to submit them via the mail. How to apply for a passport, follow the directions on the state’s website or go to a local passport agency (attached below for your convenience)
how to Renew PASSPORT by Mail
Renew by mail using Form DS-82 if you respond “Yes” to all statements below about your most recent passport:
- I can submit it with my application.
- It is not damaged (other than normal wear and tear).
- I have never reported it lost or stolen.
- It was issued within the last 15 years.
- It was issued when I was age 16 or older.
- It was issued in my current name, or I can provide another document such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree that is evidence of my name change.
- It was not limited to less than the normal 10 year period of validity for an adult passport due to multiple passport thefts or losses, or due to issues with passport damage or mutilation.
If you’re not eligible to renew your passport, go to our Apply in Person page to learn the steps for how to apply. You cannot renew a passport for a child under age 16 and must apply again in person using Form DS-11.
Applying for a Passport Outside the United States: Learn how to renew your U.S. passport if you live in a foreign country.
If you’re traveling in the next 14 days and need a passport expedited or an emergency passport, I recommend you get in touch with your congressperson or senator to help you expedite the process. You can also try calling the NIH and make an appointment, but just know the lack of appointments currently available may mean you’ll have to go to another state to do so! And the lines have been bananas. So you’ll have to be persistent and call before they open at 8am. The best bet is to contact your federal representatives to get this process moving along.
From our experience, we contacted our senator and her aides were able to help us locate the passports once we submitted our proof of travel (a booked ticked) just know the ticket can be refundable. We had to sign a privacy release and we are waiting to hear back. But so far it’s been pretty smooth.
Want more helpful planning tips?
- How to book your trip & booking resources
- Travel Essentials You Need
- 71 must know travel tips
- curated Travel Guides & Itinerary
- All travel destinations
Check out these articles :
- how to plan a trip: The complete step-by-step guide
- How To Use Google Flights To Find Cheap Flights
- How To Use Google Flights Explore
- How To Set Price Alerts on Google Flights